Dragontail - Backbone Ridge

ericb

A buddy of mine from work want's to do this this weekend, and only has Cams up to BD #4......Will this work for the pitch 2 OW, or will he need a #5? Thoughts.....

He's a 5.10 trad climber, but not a fan of OWs so I suspect he'd want to protect it well.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think he said is that with the relatively low angle nature of the offiwith, the fact that it is in a corner, and with the existence of face holds, it is not as hard and scary as advertised. If you've recently lead a real 5.9 offwidth like the last pitch of GM at Index, you will laugh your way up it without having to bring along a #5 to slide up above you. Otherwise, borrow the #5.

It seemed to me that it was one of those awkward 5.9 cracks that you really were not at all likely to fall out of so much as struggle a bit to make upward progress. I am no off width expert nor a particularly bold leader and I didn't have any trouble leading it without any extra large gear.