Ankle Surgery

dan_e

Since I am going under the knife on June 11th I was wondering if anyone here has ever had surgery to repair stretched/torn ankle ligaments (for you technical or doctor types, specifically the ATF and CF ligaments). I severely sprained my ankle in April and I have been of the rock since then (yes, I am going crazy!). I want to know how the recovery was and how long before I might be able to climb again. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In 3 seperate trail running incidents I tore ALL the ligaments in my left ankle, but opted to NOT have the surgery. By the way, I was RUNNING on those torn ligaments a week after it happened the 1st time. I was told by the doc after the last time that it would take up to a year to recover and that I would have to be in a cast for 6 months if I opted for surgery.

He did however say that recovery would be about 100%, but a year is a darn long time to be sitting around.

Good luck and sorry about your accident in April!

Mike

I tore the ligements in my left ankle too, and had no surgury for the ligements, but had a cast on for 6 weeks (broken leg) and was climbing 3 months after the accident. Look at non surgical alternatives for healing, as my doctor said they would heal with out a surgical fix in a few months. TTT

Thanks for the input, it sounds like your injuries (mikeadam) were not that severe though, there is no way I could run or even hike for that matter and it's been over a month. This is my fifth sprain on the same ankle, the second severe sprain. The problem with ligaments is that once stretched they stay that way and you will always be prone to sprains. I was told that I will only be in a cast for 6 weeks (I have fractures as well). What the surgery will do is tighten those ligaments, which will over time improve ankle stabilty.

Dane,

Actually the first time it was very severe (like it popped loud enough that the 4 people running closest to me heard it and we all thought it was broken), but at the time I was in a situation where malingering was highly frowned upon. IN other words if you weren't bleeding out your arse or missing a limb you were looked down upon like a leper. Dealing with pain was just part of the job and YES it was VERY painful trying to pretend that everything was OK while running 6 minute miles to avoid being ostracized by my cohorts.

It was severly misdiagnosed due to poor medical care offered by the service. I was told after finally seeking medical in the sillyvillian world for the reoccurring injury that I should have initially been put in a cast for 6 weeks.

My ankle, running, physical condition have never been the same since. The last 2 times were simply the icing on the cake that completely removed any remaining ligament structure that existed after the first time.

Best to get it cared for, but surgery is pretty serious. I would see how it feels after getting your cast off and giving it some time to recover.

Mike

I had a third degree (completely in two) ligament tear of the left ankle several years ago. The doc I saw said I could go either way on the surgery, but since I was so active, the best alternative was to sew the ends back together. He said with natural healing, the ends might not heal together and therefore the ligament would be weaker than if it was healed end to end.