Routes at Pinto Rock

Off_White

Anyone been climbing at Pinto Rock? I walked around it several years ago, and was intrigued to see a 5.10ish bolt protected sport route on the south end. Being a lazy sort, I've hoped someone has developed the crag and cleaned the choss. Its a great setting, up high on a ridge with views of Rainier, Adams, and St. Helens, and awesome huckleberries (well, a little later in the season..)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been there but I read about it in Beckey's brown book. He describes four trad routes from the 60's, 5.2 - 5.6. Meager protection (no cracks, just slinging knobs) so I guess it wouldn't be surprising if somebody bolted some routes on it.

-matt

Its virtually roadside, on a dirt road high up on a ridge above the Cispus River, south of Randle. The rock is of the welded tuff and cobbles variety, classic FRAC stuff that the sporties like. (you know, funky-rock-awesome-climbing) The road passes right under rock, and from a parking area at the south end, the approach is about a minute long to the single bolted route I saw there maybe 5 years ago. If you've hiked on the pct to get to something, it might have been Kirk or Shark Rock, a couple other of these volcanic thingys sitting up on ridgetops.