most efficient way to melt snow

letsroll

I am heading out for 4 days next weekend and don't want to take the Jeb boil instead of the white gas for weight savings. I could take two of the large fuel bottles if need be but trying to just take one. I will be melting just about all of my water. One way I have discovered was to boil about 2 cups fill the nalgine with snow and pour the boiling water into the nalgine. Seems to be a bit more fuel efficient that adding a bit of water then add snow to melt in cup.

Thanks for any ideas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the sun and warm temperatures, you should take a black plastic bag along with you. Fill it with snow at camp. Lay it out on a rock in the sun or on your sleepign pad and let it melt. You can get a fair amount of water out of a such a system if you place it in the right spot. At this time of year, you may also be able to find some running water near camp or at least some drips off some snow patches on rock etc.

I also don't think it's fuel efficient to keep bringing the water to a boil each time. Bring a little bit to a boil to start the process, then add snow in small amounts. As the snow melts, just keep adding moderate amounts of snow at a time and then pour into a bottle as you get enough in the pot. If you tend the stove vigilantly you can do it fairly efficiently.

Edited by iluka

with an MSR XGK stove. don't boil the water when your melting snow , that uses way more energy. melt a bunch of snow to fill the pot. pour some water into you bottle and keep topping up the melting pot. but if your not hiking much and you have lots of time to sit aroung camp use the black plastic sheet.

• 3 months later...