Need a short hike to some views & a nice camp site

MountaingirlBC

I have exams next week but I just can't face another weekend of house arrest and the truth is that I'll probably get more studying done in my tent than I will at my computer gear whoring, chatting on msn and reading message baords. I need to pick up a bunch of new gear on Saturday so doing an overnight will allow me to bring stuff back without paying duty & taxes on it. Can anyone recommend a good place somewhere in the Baker/Bellingham area where I could hike (1-3 hours) into some peace & quiet and still get a bit of a mountain fix while i hit the books this weekend?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a copy of hiking Whatcom county. It has a lot of awesome hikes and good ideas. Best hiking book ever!

Maybe nooksak cirque? Not the price lake trail, but the lower elevation/easier hike. Beautiful.

Anywhere you go this w/end should be gorgeous, concidering the weather forecast!

Yellow Aster Lakes on the way into Tomyhoi would be a great spot. Shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours to get there from the TH. Great views of Baker and the surrounding area, plus you could add in a quick scramble up the Buttes if you wanted some quick views up high.

Good luck on the finals... the end is near! bigdrink.gif

How much snow is there at Artist Point these days?

I actually have "Hiking Whatcom County." Good idea. I'd forgotten I had it. Nooksak Cirque sounds good but I'm worried about the river crossing this time of year. And I'll probably be pretty late too. Spring river crossings in the dark might put me up for a Darwin award. Whaddya think?

Thinking about Yellow Aster cuz I know i can get in there in the dark no problem and the views are awesome.

Also considering Lake Anne. Anyone know what the snow/road situation is up there?

Road is still closed to Artist point. Snow is hard though and you can slog it up and over to Lake Anne, but why? There is still some snow toward the end on Yellow Aster Butte trail. Another idea would be Heliotrope and camp on the Moraine... trailhead is finally open I hear?!