[TR] Pyramid Peak- Colonial Glacier 6/19/2006

zoroastr

Climb: Pyramd Peak-Colonial Glacier

Date of Climb: 6/19/2006

Trip Report:

Nobody took the bait when I posted to the partners list, so I had to go to the big, scary mountains all alone. I also felt really crappy most of the day, so I just did a short one. Here are some snaps from the Colonial Glacier and Pyramid Peak, which I climbed by an interesting route. Two of the three peaks in the area that I'd wanted to "bag" stayed in the clouds all day--I never actually got to see the Bunyan Stump or Pinnacle, but Pyramid was fun.

I ended up taking several photos of some of the pretty little Glacial ponds on the Colonial--it was gr8 to come upon this oasis after that unbelivably nasty approach hike. Long, steep, and in places non-existant, the "trail" had only one upside: about five miles in, I found the sunglasses I'd lost three weeks ago--score!

18col1.jpg

Another pond shot, with Colonial Peak...

18col5.jpg

The same ponds, from several hundred feet up Pyramid Peak...

18col4.jpg

Played some MP3's on the gloomy, socked-in summit of Pyramid, while noshing on Pop-Tarts [special "Pirates of the Carribean" promotional tart--Strawberry, with weird, yellow frosting.] Frankly, not one of Kellogg's best efforts..:(

18col3.jpg

More pondage...

18col6.jpg

Two hike-out shots: The Dam....

18col7.jpg

...and an over-the-shoulder glance back at Colonial.

18col8.jpg

Gear Notes:

'pons, stick, food, toonz.

Approach Notes:

This approach is in contention for possibly the most god-awful in-hike I've ever voluntarily suffered through. You'll love the glacier and surrounding peaks, but there's a very good reason the area sees little traffic.

Edited by zoroastr

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long, steep, and in places non-existant, the "trail" had only one upside: about five miles in, I found the sunglasses I'd lost three weeks ago--score!

Good! I put them there on that root system that you downclimb about a week ago. I figured you would return for them since they were such stylin' shades =)

-Todd