Mt Shuksan conditions?

joejr

Flying in Friday night for a Sat/Sun N Face attempt of Mt Shuksan.

Does anybody know what the approach and summit conditions are, or should be like? We've seen nothing but rain, rain, rain for that area and cool temps. Are we going to have to catapult across the White Salmon Creek? Has it been snow on the summits?

Thanks,

Joe

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't underestimate what it takes to get across the White Salmon to the base of the North Face. I was thouroughly thrashed by it the first time. I've been shut down twice on this route by whiteout conditions. The best start is at the base of chair 8 at the ski area, and skirt the valley without dropping down too far. Be aware that the big sea to sky race is this weekend, so the road up there will be crowded.

The creek crossing will be the least of your worries. This time of year it will be well bridged, at least in the upper valley. Cornices dropping off Shuksan Arm and ice avalanches from the White Salmon and Hanging Glaciers should loom larger in your mind. Move fast when beneath these hazards. Have Fun! cool.gif

Edited by Norman_Clyde

I'm with Clyde. I don't think any creek crossing will be your real problem.

The weather is predicted to be somewhat unsatable, though not terrible. If it remains relatively cool, as predicted, and if the snowpack actually sets up, you may do OK. I hope you are prepared to navigate in poor visibility.