[TR] Three O'Clock Rock - Darrington- Silent Running 5/21/2006

tivoli_mike

Climb: Three O'Clock Rock - Darrington-Silent Running

Date of Climb: 5/21/2006

Trip Report:

scottp and I hit the base of the route around 11am after the hike up the 8 mile creek trail. There is some significant treefall on the trail forcing some bushwhack to go around. The road to the trailhead was passable by all cars ( Camry at the TH). I started the first, snow abbreviated pitch, and we switched leads from there on out.

I got schooled on the 3rd pitch (5.9+) on the techniques of D-Town slab climbing, but I managed to get through it. We topped out at the 6th pitch, and I decided to push on to the bonus pitch, but ended up bailing with the weather turning and my flailing getting more frenzied. There is a missing bolt hanger halfway up this pitch.

scottp was grumbling about the button-head 1/4"ers on the 6th pitch, but the new bolts were well placed. Had a squall hit us on the rap down, but it blew through quickly giving us a chance to catch up on lunch before we headed back to the car.

Less than four hours from the base to the 6th belay and back down.

Gear Notes:

brought 10 draws and a rack to 2.5"...

Approach Notes:

snow at base...

trail has treefall.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My grumbling was largely tongue in cheek (except for that one button head where you can view a good 50% of the shaft by looking behind the hanger). I want to say thanks to those who refitted that route. It was well done and much needed. The meathooks that used to protect the lower crux were about as grim as they get.

Mike didn't mention the missing hanger on the 4th(?) bolt of pitch 7.