The Tooth

aircooled

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been up the Tooth Lately? I have a friend coming into town and would like to take him climbing. Do we need ice axes and/or crampons to safely get to the saddle near pineapple pass for the easy route?

I'd carry an ice axe through early July, in a normal snow year. Takes a long time for the snow to melt out of that bowl below Pineapple Pass. (Unless you get TRs to the contrary.)

Anyone been up the Tooth Lately? I have a friend coming into town and would like to take him climbing. Do we need ice axes and/or crampons to safely get to the saddle near pineapple pass for the easy route?

post a trip report, its cool to hear about people's first experience climbing, even das toof. wink.gif

besides we need a 2006 Toof Report.

The saddle to get up to Pineapple Pass is still very much full of snow but made for good step-kicking. You shouldn't need crampons, though an ice axe would probably be nice for peace of mind (didn't need mine yesterday). You can rap the gully below the pass rather than downclimbing the usual approach (the top of which is a little tricky now as the snow is starting to melt away from the rock).

Super fun route, your friend will love it.

TR here.