Alpental Valley 11/25

Norman_Clyde

I hiked up to Pineapple pass and the TOOF today on my way back from Othello. The valley is in full autumnal splendor: trees and flora all were frosted with big ice crystals-- very photogenic, too bad I had no camera. Temperature was just at freezing. Blue sky with not a breath of wind. Snow is patchy at upper elevations, hard crust which gave me no problem in trail running shoes. There was some verglas in the stream bed on the way down. I heard a muffled rumbling at one point on the descent, and when the expected aircraft did not fly over, I was amazed to discover the sound emanating from deep beneath a thick mat of moss covering the talus, as the creek flowed by beneath. All you TOOF veterans probably know about this spot.

South facing rock is still snow free. It would have been a great day to climb the TOOF, which I still have never done.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed it Sat in great weather w/ partner. No one else in the upper valley, very nice place to be. Scoped out some very impressive looking rock climbs nearby, and will have to come back with the rock shoes and a rack next summer and send them!

I wouldnt suggest you solo it the first time up it, but it is a nice solo once you've done it once or twice...

Alex