Mt. Daniel/Mt. Hinman Linkup?

Juan

Wondering if anyone has taken the Daniel Glacier Route as shown in Nelson (Vol. 1), then continued down then back up to Hinman. When I did Daniel in 1994, we didn't scout it out. Looks like a fun jaunt. Anyone done this?

Thanks much,

John Sharp

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there recently, but didn't specifically scope that connection out. I did look down to the NW, which offered some twisty scree gullies that I facetiously offered as great routes up. I'd think you could easily scree ski down 'em (much more enjoyable) and then head over to Hinman. From up top, it looked like the main reason to hit Hinman was if you had your skis or board with you, but I'll bet the perspective is nice over there.

Off White:

Thanks for your input. My thinking is to get some extra mileage before the Pickets, to show my wife a cool peak or two, and of course to try to add two more summits to the annual total. The competition this year with Mr. Nelson is really heating up. As a senior climber, he is prone to exageration, as you can imagine, and counts "peaks" like Capital Hill, Queen Anne Hill, and the like. I play it straight, but need a few more!

Cheers,

John Sharp

I've never done what you are suggesting, but I have climbed from the la bohn gap side of hinman to nearly the summit. The "summit" of himan is basically a long flat walk from that point over what is on the map as a glacier but I think is pretty much gone. If you end up doing a one way trip, that side of hinman (la bohn gap, la bohn lakes, necklack valley) is really beautiful. I spent a day up there exploring alone and had a wonderful time.