A "Gilligan" on Mt Snoqualmie

Lowell_Skoog

A friend reported good ski conditions in the Slot Couloir on Mt Snoqualmie last week. He said, "You could do it in three hours easy." So I headed up Sunday after lunch.

Alpental was open and looked crowded. I left the parking lot around 2 pm and skied up the west flank of the peak. I tagged the summit then traversed through scraggly trees to the top of the couloir. (Back in 1985 I climbed this route carrying skis but never went back to ski it. Thanks to Jan Kordel, Steve Martin and Martin Volken for showing the way.)

The snow in the gully was lumpy but forgiving on skis. From Thunder Creek basin the Crooked Couloir looked well filled and not so lumpy. The New York Gully had a surprising amount of ice in it. Could April be a good time to climb this route?

On the west flank (Phantom Chute) the snow was sticky but not bad. I got back to my car at 4:30 pm, confirming that this trip makes a nice Gilligan ("a three hour tour").

[ 04-29-2002, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Lowell Skoog ]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The angle wasn't vertical, so from an ice climbing perspective it shouldn't be too hard. But it was thin ice over rock, so who knows? It reminded me of those neat pictures that Dan Cauthorn's party took on the east face of Cutthroat Peak a few years back. Up high the angle kicked back and I couldn't see it, but then there were roofs higher, so the exit is an unknown.