Non-Plastic Mountaineering Boots

snowclimber

I need to replace a pair of Salomon Super Mountain 9s (leather, moisture lining, big rand, takes step-ins, etc.). Typical use will be snow/glacier/mixed slogs up volcanos and similar climbing. Anybody have advice to offer about a good comparable replacement? I have medium-volume feet, and the Salomons always blister me even though they are WAY past broken-in. Thanks for any help.

NEW-BUT-RELATED QUESTION: Anybody have any experience with Raichle mountaineering boots, particularly the 90-Degree GTX? Any advice on foot-volume considerations, comfort, break-in, flexibility, etc., would be most appreciated.

Edited by snowclimber

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a pair of Sportiva Glaciers that I've been really happy with for all sorts of things. The last two winters I've also been wearing them at work (in the snow, all day, every day) since I decided I hated klonking around in the Koflach plastics that I bought specifically for that purpose. I have no real complaints. They are plenty warm, fairly light, accept crampons, edge OK, don't kill me on the hike....etc.

Since I got the neato blue ones they kind of look like RRs on steroids...........if perchance you remember RRs.

MisterMo... Would agree with the Glaciers. I have the new version in Black.. evo or whatever. They are toasty warm and break in great and can handle just about anything short of extreme stuff. Hate plastic's.. that is just me maybe. If your feet are medium to low volume and you like leather these or the Makula (spelling) are a great choice. I suppose many others would work just fine though. If you'd like to be punished with solomons I'll make you a great deal on a pair of near new solomon pro ice.. don't fit me for sh%t. Size 10.5-11.

I guess I'm the odd guy whose feet were treated right by plastics (Asolo Supersofts - long out of production). After years in leathers with many "waterproofing" products, plastics first allowed me to spend a day or more in the snow with warm and semi-dry feet. Of course, if you plan on doing much climbing, you will eventually want both kinds.

I would suggest trying on the La sportiva nepal extreme

boots, put them on, I have them and I had my wife try on

boots this summer and she decided they are the best. We

went on about 5 trips and she had no blisters. I have had

them for some time now with very little problem, took a 10 day trip early last summer with no blisters that I can remember of.

They hike well and you can scramble with them and do vertical ice, best all around boot I know and they are

comfortable out of the box with NO break in time. The final

word though is what fits your feet so try on as many types

you can. This will save you a lot of greif.

Dan

Partly my concern about plastics is weight, and partly it's approaches. But flexibility and "feel" are also important to me. I have plastic (a pair of Koflacs), but I try to limit them to situations when warm/dry outweighs other considerations. I use leather only in late-spring and summer conditions. Thanks for the tips. (Sorry MisterMo: I've had enough of Salomons!)