TR - Marble and Ramble Feb 4-5, 06

Stemalot

Nicole Accera and I did the grand tour via Marble Canyon (Sat) and then the Ramble (Sun). We did it in reverse order as Wild Bill. Wild Bill is acurate in that Deeping Wall is FAT! Ice at the canyon was soft and not too wet, especially at top. If you never lead grade 5 before, now is a good time to try it on Deeping Wall. There was a party of 6 from U of Kamloops tr-ing to our right and a party from Vancouver on the dihedral to our left. Overall, the crag was not busy and had plenty of good ice! At the end of the day a group of 15-20 people showed up and stood at the base of ICBC (unformed and running like a fire hose). Two of them just bouldered around and the rest of them looked on...it was very strange. They left in about 15 minutes...does the canyon attact tour buses?

We stayed at Mile-O...as usual on Sat. night. I thought the ACC group was gonna be out this weekend so I went looking for them at Reynolds but there were no climbers! Then the Canucks lost... cry.gif We got there late and they stopped serving food...so we went to Feelin Good Pub and had a fabulous time hanging out with cook Ervin (Swerv) and cute bartender Ashley. smile.gif

Sat we went to Ramble central and it had lots of ice. In fact the central pillar on the third (last) pitch touched down (really really fat) and has been climbed by several parties already; ie, the route is screwed. tongue.gif You can do lots of fun funky variations to the left of the pillar right now (don't think they are in very often). There was one party at Ramble left the entire day and we never saw them. Ramble right looks in from the road and we saw lots of foot tracks going towards it.

Will post pics later.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's staying cool in Clinton though (only 28km to the north of Marble), it's -8C right now and is supposed to be below or near -10C at night through to Monday.

Though I guess I'm kinda of blowing my case if I'm trying to keep people away ...

Is the lake "unthawing" or "thawing," I always mix that up...?

Ok so the weather pixie is just an english version of a metar report that is based on an auto obsevation station at Clinton. the past 24 hours in 100 mile house is the same as Clinton and is using the same station as the pixie. If you look at the address bar when hitting past 24 hours for 100mile house you will see wcl in there. you could change that to yvr or whatever for quick navigation of stations.

So the past 24 hours are based in clinton and the forecast is for 100 mile house I beleive, its the main area in the south cariboo region.

Yes Lyle the forecaster do take into account clintons local conditions when forecasting for the area. So you may sometimes see forecasts such as flurries for ...while rain for... but keep in mind what you see when looking at the forecast is a computer intepertation of the forecasters input, if in doubt of a forecast check out the text based forecast off to the side under 5 day weather and find the south cariboo region sometimes it lends more insight.

this is an area EC is working on and will hopefully be able to issue better regional forecasts with more wording as I have said above.

Also notice that when you hit past 24 hours for 100mile house it actually says in bold letters clinton

cheers