Former Place Names, Spellings, Pronunciations

catbirdseat

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COCK ROCK

Named by the pioneers on the Oregon Trail who went right by this bulbous looking appendge/phallus shaped basalt pillar.

Popular climbing destination for Portland people ------>

anyone?

anyone?

Buller?

Renamed in 1959, everyone knew it didn't look like a Rooster.

anyone?

anyone?

Buller?

Beacon Rock?

Buzzzzzz, no: Sorry.

Lewis and Clark named Beacon Rock and the name stuck with everyone except the locals who were later evicted and killed in various ways for non-payment of rent after the rules changed without their say so or permission in @1854-1859 or so.

COCK ROCK

Named by the pioneers on the Oregon Trail who went right by this bulbous looking appendge/phallus shaped basalt pillar.

I will guess it is the rock right off I-84 that is presently named after the barnyard animal it fails to resemble.

I'll take "Semi-climbable volcanic pinnacles of Oregon" for 200, Alex.

Curt, we need to consult with the judges as the correct title of that category is "Barely tolerable choss piles of Oregon".

Judges say that is the correct catagory and a correct answer as well.

$200 sir, well done.

Small humor in the fact that the State Park beach right there at the former COCK ROCK is favored by nude sunbathing male homosexuals (and other nudists as well).

If only they'd known, they could have left the origonal name.

first of all, wasn't sonam gyatso the third Dalai Lama?

and finally, just as a point of interest can someone weigh in on the correct pronunciation of John Muir's last name...two syllables as in MEW-UR or one as in deMURE? Long time argument among friends.

as a point of interest can someone weigh in on the correct pronunciation of John Muir's last name...two syllables as in MEW-UR or one as in deMURE? Long time argument among friends.

Consider this passage in Muir's biography-- a conversation between himself and a local farmer in Wisconsin, during Muir's youth:

"I hear ye like to read buiks, my lad." I do that, sir," John replied. "I read every guid buik I can get my hands on."

Recall that Muir was a scot by birth. I haven't been to Scotland but my impression is that the Scot accent deepens the oo vowel sound and adds a small lilt at the end. Muir probably pronounced his name to rhyme with "good" and "book" but they all probably sounded more like Muir, Guid, Buik, the vowel having not quite a y at the start and not quite an i at the end.