Eastside Pub Club, 11/15

knotzen

'''Neurasthenia''' (also known as Neuralgia) was a term first coined by Beard in 1869 to describe a condition with symptoms of fatigue, anxiety and pessimism. It was explained as being a result of exhaustion of the central nervous system's energy reserves which Beard attributed to civilisation. In the late 1800s it became a popular diagnosis and led to rest cures. Physicians at the time frequently associated Neurasthenia with the stresses of urbanization and the pressures placed on the intellectual class by the increasingly competitive business environment. Typically, it was associated with upper class individuals in sedentary employment. It was a common diagnosis in World War I - every one of the c.1700 officers processed through the Craiglockhart War Hospital was diagnosed with neurasthenia, for example - but its use declined a decade later. The symptoms are similar to what is now termed fibromyalgia."

Huh? confused.gifsnaf.gif

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'''Neurasthenia''' (also known as Neuralgia) was a term first coined by Beard in 1869 to describe a condition with symptoms of fatigue, anxiety and pessimism. It was explained as being a result of exhaustion of the central nervous system's energy reserves which Beard attributed to civilisation. In the late 1800s it became a popular diagnosis and led to rest cures. Physicians at the time frequently associated Neurasthenia with the stresses of urbanization and the pressures placed on the intellectual class by the increasingly competitive business environment. Typically, it was associated with upper class individuals in sedentary employment. It was a common diagnosis in World War I - every one of the c.1700 officers processed through the Craiglockhart War Hospital was diagnosed with neurasthenia, for example - but its use declined a decade later. The symptoms are similar to what is now termed fibromyalgia."

Actually, I have been feeling a little bit... hmmm.

I had other plans last night. I had a Scrabble doubleheader with my regular partner to make up for a disappointing game with someone else over the weekend.

Game over the weekend: I won 484 - 175, and I wasn't even hogging the triple word scores

First game yesterday: I lost 453 - 295 (thanks in part to an amazing 92-point decanter play by my partner on the 2nd to last move)

Second game yesterday: I narrowly won in the endgame, 318-308