New pack or replace waist belt ?

astuar

WOndering whther to buy a new pack to replace a 25-yr one, or replace the hip belt, and who might best do that. . The new ones are soo much better. ANy experience or suggestions, I have some concerns if a refit would be as strong as the original. Pack is for weeklong trips and 50 lbs. Thanks for any input.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't specify what pack you have or what you're using it for. 25 years is pretty old, that'd put it about circa 1980. Packs have come a long way in being lighter, more comfortable, more stable and more specialized. If you provide some more info and folks can make some recommendations.

As far as replacing your hip belt, you may be able to remove yours hand replace it with something off the shelf, but chances are your pack pre dates the modular hip belt. You could take your pack into some place like Rainy Pass and they can sew a new one for you, but for what you'd spend and the end product you'd end up with, I'd consider investing in a new pack.

Well, how cushy is the padding in the shoulderstraps?

pretty depleted I am guessing?

If so, just see if the hassle of getting a so-so hipbelt replacement vs. a new pack - maybe it's time to indulge in a 1st pack buy in 25 yrs?

50lbs and weeklong = Bora 80 to me.

Try to get a used one to save on $$$ smile.gif

Toast, yes, it is a pre-modular hipbelt. It is a Lowe Lhotse, a larger version of the old blue Expedition. Packstraps are not too bad, but hipbelt slides down in about 50 steps. Use will be backpacking, some off trail as needed, but not climbing.

Thanks guys, pretty much my thoughts. Since it's gonna last so long that will take deep comparison shopping and as I started comparing I thought, maybe this could be easier. Guess not. But it's for 3-season, so shopping it is.

So, a Bora? I did like that model Maserati!

Arc'teryx packs are great - try ebay and get a used one.

Saw a Bora 70, started out low.

Since it is perceived as "Dated" becaue they update all the designs, you can get a great backpack for a good deal less than the amount you would have paid jut a year or two ago.

Unless you want to go straight to new, then Arc'teryx's fabric is pretty waterproof.

That's a bonus in getting the new packs.

It's time for a new pack.

Packs have improved a great deal in the last 25 years, and there is no way you can easily attach a modern hipbelt to your old unit. New hipbelts tend to be much more supportive, comfortable and require less tension to support a given load.

They also would retail at 50.00 to 100.00, plus the fee to modify it/sew it on.

Finally, packs can really improve or destroy the quality of your trip.

Try looking for a swap-meet or similar type event. I saw a gregory denali pro in mint condition go for 60.00USD just a few months ago. There are lots of deals out there - you just have to look for them.

Cheers,

GB