AT Ski Width: Fatter waist better for NW Snow?

allsetcobrajet

Hi,

I've been skiing on these K2 Shuksan AT Skis the past two seasons. Last year I skied the season in Utah and found myself gawking at some of the fat powder skis alot people use out there. Anyway, now that I'm back in the NW, I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to skiing a fatter ski here (Mt. Baker area), especially fatter at the waist. I read this article by Rob DeSaluriers who seems to think fatter skis (88mm or wider at the waist) were a panacea to Cascade Concrete/Sierra Cement. The Shuksan dimensions are 117-78-105. I'm 5'8" and ski the 174cm length. I can't say that I'm unhappy with the Shuksans, they certainly haven't stopped me from going anywhere, but so many people seem to like the fatter skis, I'm wondering what you all think. The main complaint I have about the Shuksans is that they can get tossed about in wetter, heavier snow (i.e., NW snow). I'm thinking that's just the way it is for everyone, and I should just learn to deal with it. Perhaps I'll just go and demo some fatties sometime this year and see for myself.

fredd

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be riding higher on the snow, so you'll be less affected by crud and inconsistant snow conditions. To say it is the BEST option for the area is going a little far. I think with many skis out there (Atomic Janak(teledaddy), K2 Mt Baker, G3 Rev.), they are designed to work well in pow and on hard pack. But it's kind of like getting a skinny ski to ski powder.

Fat skis will generally be softer, and run the possibility of chattering around more. I would also say that a wider ski will not hold an edge as well when you get on hardpack/icy conditions.

My suggestion is to stay on your shuksans (great ski) but get out to some of the demos, or rent some skis this year, to see how you like it!

kioti-

Good advice my man. I'd agree, Shuksans are a good all around ski. Maybe upgrade when the old ones lose their base or edge. The new ones are cool now that the tips are less pointed, which resemble my Havocs.

Have fun on Baker, the resort, the arm and the mountains are the best place to play in snow.

fruit.gif

Here's my story...

Usual everday ski: BD Mira. Then I demo'ed some Rossi MegaBangs. I was out on them and thought to myself, "Wow, the snow really is a lot better than I expected today..." Then I reached down and picked up a handful and went, "Hmmmm, no it's not!" A light went on, and now I am a fat ski convert. I still have and use the Mira's (and some Tua Megas!) but most days I'll grab the Mega Bangsa first.

Go demo some skis this winter and see what you think.

Bought Rossi T-4's last season. Pretty happy with that investment.

I kept my Tua Megas tho thumbs_up.gif

I've done three things I swore I'd never do since I moved Here from Colorado:

1) buy plastic tele boots

2) get a truck with power windows

3) buy fat skis

never say never...

fat skis rock! I am a big time convert now. my ski of choice for powder: Fischer Big Stix 10.6 (with Linkin bindings) ...106mm in the waist! (135-106-123 overall) and while as it has been said before in this thread that fat skis dont hold an edge as well in really icy/hardpack conditions (duh!) I have used by Big Stix on the groomers and they do great! I like them much better than the Mega Bangs, on piste or off, and I have two other friends who will back me up on this one. I dont know what you guys see in the Mega's that you like so much...

my do everything all-mountain ski: Atomic 10:EX, something like 118-84-112. wide enough for any powder but will also edge like crazy! super great ski, busts crud, high speed, carves, floats, you name it, the 10:EX can handle it!

I would highly recommend demo-ing some newer, fatter boards this winter.

cheers and have fun in the snow!

hey, btw, I will be skiing the Baker BC this Sun/Mon if you want to come out and try my skis. not sure which pair I will use, but I can bring both pair if you are interested. give me a shout and let me know!