SW Utah

sketchfest

I'll be heading down to St. George to visit family over Thanksgiving and am planning on doing a little climbing while I'm there. Since I won't have a ton of free time, I'm limiting my climbing to areas like Snow Canyon and Chukawala wall.

Where I need some help is that the guide book I recently picked up talks about areas like Turtle wall and Crawdad Canyon, but doesn't offer up any decent route info, on top of that I read a post on another site that said they thought Crawdad Canyon might be closed to climbing this time of year. Does anyone have any info or a recommendation on a better guide book I could pick up.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Knapp at Sharpend puplishing has a book Rock climbs of Southwest Utah and the Arizona strip written by Todd Goss. Not sure if that is the book you already have or not. And like Dr. F said the Falcon book. James Garrett also wrote a guide to Ibex which isn't too far from there.

Go to Kolob, south fork taylor creek..you will not regret the day:

Do my routes, Hall of Smears, Pulp friction, and Last Rites. <inster chestbeat emoticon>

WOOT freaking awesome place with a killer vibe.

Only 35 min North of St George. rockband.gifwave.gif

That place is the killer shit, although you should skip the slab routes (no offense, but slabs are yellowsleep.gif), and go directly to the route in the third pic, the awesome Namaste (.12a, with no move harder than 10+ or so, stacked up continuously for 120 feet. Incredible route; you'll be amazed at how you can fall off of full-hand buckets!). thumbs_up.gif

(no offense, but slabs are the purest form of climbing relying on balance and delicate shifts of body weight and the ability to detect subtle undulations on the rock surface...)

bigdrink.gif Yup I agree completely! None of that booring jug to jug to jug climbing where people with less than heroic endurance get squashed and demoralized like peasants :P

I recently recieved the following information from one of the local guide companies about Crawdad Canyon that I thought I'd pass along.

"Crawdad canyon is closed to the general public from sept to march. It is open to members of the Southern Utah Climbers Coalition and their chaperoned guests. Members have access to the park via a key check out at the outdoor outlet and hurst stores. You can join the coalition (30.00 annual membership) at either the outdoor outlet, or hurst. This gets you access to the park, a reduced entrance fee, as well as access to updated local route info and news via the SUCC website. www.succ.org "