Freakin' Creep

Peter_Puget

Using a state whistle-blower law, Mr. Diamond since 2002 has filed about 95 suits in Cook County court here against retailers that failed to charge him taxes on Internet sales, alleging that they broke the law. In cases where the state of Illinois joins the suits and prevails, he is entitled to up to 25% of the financial damages, with the rest going to state coffers.

Mr. Diamond's first eight suits were filed against such retailers as Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Office Depot Inc. and KB Toys Inc. He has netted about a half-million dollars already, from some retailers. Because of settlement agreements between the retailers and the attorney general's office, the state's judges have agreed to keep the names of most of the retailers and the settlement amounts confidential. More than 80 suits are pending in Illinois, and Mr. Diamond has made forays into other states as well.

"This is a no-brainer," says Mr. Diamond, a veteran class-action attorney who has a scenic view of Lake Michigan from his downtown office. "I started going on the Internet and discovered to my astonishment that companies like Target Corp. and Wal-Mart were not collecting taxes on their Internet sales. I was like, "Wow!"

link

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't you as republicans applaud letting the "private sector" (Mr. Diamond in this case) do the legwork? The companies are breaking the law and sooner or later somebody is going to have to go after them. Wouldn't y'all rather have people like him to more of the work and reap part of the benefit? I'm not saying this is what I believe, but I could see some ignorant repub spouting this off. tongue.gif

Hey Joshk, why don't you try not pigeonholing once in a while?

This guy is worse than that lame college religious group that busted wine.com home deliveries because the UPS guys didn't check IDs. At least those guys didn't do it out of straight up greed like this asshole.

Did I say I agreed with him? No, I don't, he's a dipshit. I'm just pointing out what some might see as an irony. Then again I can certainly see how anybody to the right would hate somebody who does anything that could make walmart (or anybody for that matter) pay more taxes. hahaha.gif

I like it. Taxman bounty hunter! Saves the IRS money. Or is tax evasion somehow noble? It's passive-aggressive is what it is. If you oppose the government, buy yourself a Waco compound and buy guns. Wimping out of paying your taxes as a business, while still counting on police protection for your property and state and federal services for your workers, is neither.