Wedge Mountain

ScottP

My wife and I are going to scramble Wedge Mountain soon.

We will be driving up the Mountain Home Road from 11worth.

I have a copy of that 75 Scrambles book, but having never been up there. I was wondering if anybody had some useful advice on getting to the trailhead/start of the route.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I will mention is the following:

There are two points to Wedge Mountain: the "real" summit and the place where the USGS map marks the summit. The latter isn't very inspiring.

The standard start point (at least for the real summit) is here (~4,500 ft). The road to get there is pretty good. From MHR it's not that hard to find the right junction that gets you up to that point. I suggest looking more intently at maps.

The trail follows westward up the ridge and is easy to follow. It keeps going almost due west to the Wedge crest c. 6,200 ft. From there you can go south on varied terrain (never harder than Class 3) to the real summit (6,885 ft). It took me less than 2 hours. I think it was more like 75 minutes. There was a register there. To get to the named point simply walk north from where you gain the crest. Also easy.

The real summit has good views up Snow Creek. The named summit has less views.