Medissa and Urquhart

JaapSuter

Hi,

I'm looking to get some information on the BASE-jumpability of both Medissa and Urquhart. I've heard positive reports from Dru and other people, but after two dissapointments on Steinbok and Stonerabbit, despite extremely optimistic forecasts, I'm trying to get some more information.

Then again, even if they're not jumpable, they're still amazing and rewarding scrambles.

If you've been up Medissa or Urquhart and you have any information or photos to share, please let me know.

Basically I'm looking for vertical or overhanging walls. And vertical really means vertical, i.e. 89 degrees or more. Steinbok looks vertical, but it is closer to 86 degrees. Preferably, one could drop a rock straight down (not throw, just drop from the hand) and it would not hit the wall or the ground for several seconds.

Beta and advice is appreciated. I'm already aware of the information on Bivouac (and a member).

Thanks,

Jaap Suter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

my apologies if I made it seem I am doubting your word Dru. Your information has proved very valuable already. I definitely will climb both Urquhart and Medissa soon. I suppose I just let my temporary dissapointment with Steinbok and Stonerabbit show. Which is nonsense, because they were incredible summits that I would do again in an instant.

Next time I would probably leave my 30 pound worth of BASE gear at home though. smile.gif

Bear mountain is not jumpable. Several Washington BASE jumpers have been up there and the consensus is that it's not jumpable. I don't recall the details but I could look into it if you are interested.

Thanks guys,

Jaap Suter

Thanks.

Dru pointed me to that one as well. Judging from the topo map I'm not overly optimistic, but I've been trying to charter a helicopter to check it out next month.

I got in touch with Collin Dion who, as far as I know, is the only person who has tried to tackle that wall, and he said it was a dissapointing set of staircased ledges, instead of a sheer overhanging to vertical wall.

Have you seen it yourself?