Sulphide Glacier Info?

PackOnMyBack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there two weeks ago, it's sweet - very different than it is earlier in the season but just as nice a climb.

The trail up Shannon Ridge is in good condition, it was easy to lose in the shrubs in June but not any more. Or maybe we just lost it because we were going up kinda early.

The worst part of the hike is from the Ridge up to the Sulphide, it has some dusty trail, some boulder fields and some (very low) angle slabs.

The Sulphide itself isn't at all cut up. Once you're up to high camp, just keep left until you're past the steep slope, then turn east and go for the summit pyramid.

The summit pyramid itself has no snow on it whatsoever. It's nice to have a rope to rap down if you don't like downclimbing, but other than that it is pretty much a scramble.

Ditto to what fleblebleb said. I was up there this past Sat. The glacier is in pretty good condition...not terribly direct though easily navigable. We made it to about 7500ft & turned back thanks to some less than desireable weather. From what I could tell from my vantage point this past Sun/Mon, Shuksan was out in all its glory again...that's just how it goes I guess. Anyway, 'am looking for someone to go back up there this Thursday with.

• 1 month later...

Have any of you seen or been on the Shuksan Arm as far as Winnie's Slide? I'm thinking of taking the Arm all the way to the glaciers and heading up Hell's Highway later this winter but I haven't found anyone who's seen it. I don't know whether the rocks are crossable in the winter, they weren't too inviting this last summer.

Jarred

• 2 weeks later...