Movie Rave: DIG!

Toast

I've been a huge Dandy Warhols fan ever since I picked up their first album around 1996. Not long after that I heard about a rival band called the Brian Jonestown Massacre. There was so much hype around them I ran out and picked up one of their albums... I didn't think much of it at the time. I do now, and I wish I still had it.

I just rented the two disc version of the film, DIG! It chronicles the seven year duel between the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre. More precisely, it delves into the mad, medicated, self destructive genius of Anton Newcombe, the creative nut behind the Brian Jonestown Massacre, his sidekicks, and their love hate relationship with the Dandy's. The film and the bonus disc are filled with live footage of incredible music and intrigue into what ever happened to the less stable of these two incredible bands. A lot of BJM's tunes sounded familiar and ever so rockin'. I guess I just didn't realize it was the Brian Jonestown Massacre at the time, sorta like I do with Sebadoh's music now.

If you're into the indie music scene and haven't seen it, if you've ever been in a band, if you've ever known a self destructive creative genius, it's a worthy rent. I found myself playing next on every single featurette in the bonus disc till 2:00 in the morning. This film won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance last year. Oh yeah, Zia McCabe has nice tits tongue.gif

MainMontage.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic