Wolverine?

Kyle

Hiking down from Glacier Peak last Saturday we saw a critter that I'm fairly sure was a wolverine. It was about 80' away so it was hard to know for sure, but it was about the size of a huge marmot, had a small pointy head, & was dark brown except for a reddish band that wrapped around its hind legs & tail. It had that fast slinky gait you see in weasels & martins, and the way it rushed around hunting, you could tell it was no marmot. Pretty cool, never saw one in the wild before... the Cascades are just full of surprises.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now a friend of mine (a forest ecologist) is getting the 3rd degree from wildlife researchers down in Oregon. He has an "unconfirmable" siting (like yours - no pictures, no reliable second witness) of a wolverine following a brief encounter. Last confirmed siting down there was back in the 40's, I think.

If that's what you saw, then you're VERY lucky, and I'm VERY jealous...

I found a map on the web that shows the North Cascades being the southern-most end of their range. Though their population obviously isn't that high, they're there & will be spotted once in a while. It would be way surprising to see one in OR, but it's possible. Maybe it's just because I've spent a lot of time out there lately, but the last 2 summers have been notable for me (and my partners) making cool sightings: saw my first bear in the cascades, first wolverine, northern lights, and best of all, some lightning sprites.