Differences between 9/11 and 7/7

markinore

England will not invade Syria.

It will not be required to remove your shoes to get on the London subway.

London fireman will not get laid any more frequently.

The English will not interrupt every soccer game for the next 10 years to sing “God Save the Queen.”

If an Englishman decides to take revenge by beating the crap out of an individual who came from the same country of origin as the presumed terrorists, he will not attack a Sikh.

Tony Blair will not get regular blow jobs from George Bush.

The far right in England will not attribute the attacks to lack of religious observance by the English.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things I noticed about security when I visited England in Spring:

Instead of having self-service luggage lockers as they do in Scandanavia, one must give your bags to an attendant who X-rays them before storing them.

I didn't have to take off my shoes at the airport. No one asked me. On the other hand in the States, when they say that it is "optional" to take your shoes off, it's really that it's "strongly recommended" to take your shoes off because if you don't remove your shoes, they'll hand-search you.

The difference for me:

9/11 = Co-workers I was working on projects with in NY got killed in the tower; I left work that morning to ride the bus back home through a sea of dazed and scared looking people; got home and went right to bed and cried for the rest of the day; I got laid off a month later

7/7 = same old shit, different day

i think comparing one groups misery to another is a pointless endeavor.

obviously england isn't in a position to invade anybody these days. ok--maybe not anybody....

tony blair is not george bush so he probably doesn't need to have his position validated by a blow job from anybody but his wife and/or mistress.

3000+ people died on 9/11. 50+ died on 7/7. to the individual families this makes no difference. however the magnitude of devastation was eons different.

air travel in this country was halted for 5days. the markets closed. england was able to keep functioning despite the horror. now to some measure that's just a credit to the resilient nature of the british. h/e, i'd say in larger measure it's a reflection of incomparable the 2 events are.

9/11 and 7/7 are vastly different but they do rhyme.

Londoners will post beligerently humorous livejournals.

londonhurts

and this

and this

Among the best quotes so far:

"On days like this, the music radio stations play sad music - if they play any music at all. I turned on the radio in the bathroom when I was taking my shower just now, and they were playing "One" by U2.

HAVEN'T WE SUFFERED ENOUGH?"

"God I love the British...

Nobody does pissed off disdain like 'em...

This *rules*"

"When the news reporter said "Shopkeepers are opening their doors bringing out blankets and cups of tea" I just smiled. It's like yes. That's Britain for you. Tea solves everything.

You're a bit cold?

Tea.

Your boyfriend has just left you?

Tea.

You've just been told you've got cancer?

Tea.

Coordinated terrorist attack on the transport network bringing the city to a grinding halt?

TEA DAMMIT!

And if it's really serious, they may bring out the coffee. The Americans have their alert raised to red, we break out the coffee. That's for situations more serious than this of course. Like another England penalty shoot-out [in soccer]."