laser eye surgery

gapertimmy

a buddy of mine went up to the land of kokanee to get his eyes lasered up, he now has 20/15 and i'm hella jealous.

I'm curious... has anyone here had the surgery or done extensive research on it. I remember reading that the surgery causes problems when at high altitude (into thin air talked about this a bit)... does anyone know what the threshold is??

I guess i'm a big wimp and the thought of something cutting my cornea gives me a bad case of the willies.

Anyhow, I'd like to hear any experiences you all have had with this stuff good and bad.

time to go drink.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the surgery done about two months ago. My night vision sucked for a month or so, but has gradually improved. I live in Ecuador and have been to nearly 6,000 meters without a problem, but I have heard of people going a little nearsighted up high (temporarily). I’m now better than 20/20 in both eyes and have absolutely no regrets

I've heard that the high altitude afliction only applies to the older-technology process that is not done anymore. However, I know someone who did have the eyes done a long time ago, and says she can't see above 17,000.

It may also depend on your eye. Some people are not even fit enough to recieve the surgery due to thin corneas. It could be that if you were pushing the limits that you still could have problems at altitude.

Also, from talking to my optometrist, it seems that it is not a good idea to get them done when you're "young" (under 40 or so), because the eye can relapse quite a bit.

From what I hear, it usually make it difficult to drive at night. Doesn't bode well for all those sleepy after climb miles! shocked.gif