Chamonix in September

Recycled

I'm heading on a solo trip to Chamonix the 2nd and 3rd week of September and am seeking advice on a few topics not covered in other threads. I'm there mostly to scramble, though I may try Mont Blanc if the weather looks stable and I can hook up with someone I trust. My questions:

(1) Any suggestions on "must do" Class 2 and 3 scrambles in the area?

(2) Is Cham the place to go, or is Zermatt or elsewhere better for scrambling?

(3) I have not lined up anywhere to stay on the assumption that there will likely be vacancies and I can choose huts/hostels based on where I want to be given the weather at the time. Is this a mistake? Should I book a hostel now?

(4) Is it worth renting a car? I know the transportation system is good, but I'm thinking I could get around better to Zermatt or other places of interest, not to mention opening up more distant lodging options if Cham hostels are full.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey...one of my best friends lives in a mansion of a chalet right at the base of Chamonix....if you need a place to stay..I'm pretty sure I can hook you up! I'm thinking of going and visiting him the first week of October!!

PM me with your e-mail address..and I'll send him an e-mail...ccing you on it, and hook you two up to chat!!

-M

(4) Is it worth renting a car? I know the transportation system is good, but I'm thinking I could get around better to Zermatt or other places of interest, not to mention opening up more distant lodging options if Cham hostels are full.

It's tough to drive to Zermatt, no cars are allowed.

(1) Any suggestions on "must do" Class 2 and 3 scrambles in the area?

(2) Is Cham the place to go, or is Zermatt or elsewhere better for scrambling?

(3) I have not lined up anywhere to stay on the assumption that there will likely be vacancies and I can choose huts/hostels based on where I want to be given the weather at the time. Is this a mistake? Should I book a hostel now?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I've spent the last 2 Septembers in Cham. Best month to visit in my opinion. For hiking Zermatt is hard to beat, but for climbing and scrambling, Chamonix is my favorite. I haven't done much scrambling there, but the Rochefort arete is a great ridge climb that I did alone. Excellent exposure. There are other good ridge climbs out of the Torino hut that are great and can be done alone. It's also very easy to hook up with someone to climb with, especially for doing Mont Blanc.

You won't have any problems getting a place to stay at that time. The town is winding down and is fairly mellow. You definately don't need a car if you are in the valley. There is a train that runs regularly up and down the valley.

If you go to Zermatt, DON'T take a car as it's a pain in the ass to park it down valley and the Swiss public transportation system is one of the best in the world. I took the train fron Cham to Zermatt and it's a fantastic ride through the Alps.

I found a partner and a lot of info on this website. Do a search for Chamonix and you'll find plenty of stuff...and they're friendly blokes too.

http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/jg/forums/i.php?f=8

Enjoy your time over there...I wish I could go again this year frown.gif