new erie routes

Stavrogin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the deal with the Bolts disclaimer? Are these bolts actually less safe vs. standard modern fare, given the loads exhibited in a lead fall? If they are less safe, it seems irresponsible to use them, especially if they look like standard 3/8" to the common looker. I have never placed a bolt, and generally clip bolts on modern routes with confidence, however this type of practice seems strange. Maybe the disclaimer is just for legal protection, although it seems that if the bolts are generally acceptable, a more blanket statement applying to all fixed pro is more suitable. These statements are common in many guidebooks, suggesting that all fixed pro be inspected thoroughly (although I don't think anyone does this on modern sport climbs). Maybe Dallas or someone familiar with route developing could chime in about this.

I've fallen on some of the old bolts there.

The routes are good and you use whats there to climb them.

When you consider some of the runouts(50 feet, whole pitches) in the NW, a few manky bolts is nothing.

People used to regularly climb in hiking boots with Goldline rope and hip belays runout above manky pitons.

Plus, you climb better above old bolts. Gives you focus. smile.gif