TR A day in Hope

Dru

I was invited out to Hope to help Tyler (tlinn) develop his local crag. "Bring your drill" read the email.

I was the belayer last year when we climbed "The Sting" a 4 pitch 10a on the same crag. What I remember most about that was the North North Arete style bush crawl on the second pitch, on which Tyler was attacked by wasps. Apparently he has rigged a nice bypass so you don't have to climb this pitch anymore.

Anyways this time I met tyler at the coffee shop, we drove out to the crag, hiked in to the cliff with Tyler showing off his hard earned local knowledge, by avoiding all the tick-infested bushes with a traverse through the forest.

Arriving at the base of "First Blood" , a nice single pitch 5.6 crack climb that will one day be the 1st pitch on a 5-pitch line up the crag, we got to work. Today we were going to clean and climb some projects on either side of First Blood.

Tyler started scrubbing an arete on the right and I began on a slab and face on the left. I forgot how much I like scrubbing. It reminds me of opening presents on Christmas morning rolleyes.gif you never know what's going to be under the moss.

9!!! hours later, our pitches were clean and we had avoided dehydration and suspension trauma, just barely. Tylers route was bolted and worked but not sent, mine was not bolted because the drill was out of juice. Just as well because a good rain storm should markedly improve the friction on this pitch despite my efforts with the broom.

As darkness fell I staggered into the Hope Chevron for some much needed food. I was nearly arrested by the RCMP as a deadbeat, I was wearing Carharrts that were more duct tape than canvas and covered in the vilest dirt and filth. As I stared into the washroom mirror i had to laugh, with all the dirt sticking to the stubble on my face, for once in my life I had a real Dirt Lip.

One day this crag will be an enjoyable destination if you are on your way to Skaha or weathered off Yak... but not quite yet.

357tylerushba.JPG

Tyler at work.

I had forgotten how much of a workout scrubbing is, I know I'm weak but this worked muscles I didn't know I had. I expect I will be sneezing out dirt-crusted boogers for the rest of the week

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent the arete yesterday which was a lot of fun. Drew's slab pitch has gotten a lot stickier with the rain and is ready to go. bigdrink.gif

The first pitch of the Drew-Tyler link-up is in great shape but the last pitch is still a bit mossy.