vasiliki ridge

scott

the rock on the lower part of this route is stellar. all of the harder (5.9 and up) pitches have good or great rock. unfortunatly, the rock on the upper half of the route is pretty bad in places, but this didn't get in the way of a good time. the crux pitches are so good that this route is pretty much a classic, i think. i'm not sure if it is really a grade V as it says in the red becky book. it might be only a grade IV.

we got off route up high, i think we should have stayed right of the ridge. as a result we could not find the final 10a crack.

[This message has been edited by scott (edited 07-08-2001).]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never Enough -It looks good in the Beckey Guide (and gets left out of the Burdo guide because he didn't put it up, just like he claims the 1st ascent of 'Rampage' when it was actually done by a Canadian party the previous year...) Possibly lots of other potential for routes on that side of the ridge??

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Clean Break is a fantastic route, good enough for me to do twice, but no it is certainly not a grade V, more like a grade III. Easily done car2car in a day in time to get back to Winthrop for dinner&beer by a reasonably experienced party. Pay attention, and you can follow the trail most of the way in; get off-trail in the wrong place, and the bushwhack can be pretty bad. I've never avoided some bushwhacking going in Silver Star Creek.