Home bouldering wall

korntera

I have a space in my basement that is a 45 degree overhang, it is 8 feet tall(so it is about 11 feet long) and 4 feet wide. Is this to small of an area for a home bouldering wall, will i never use it because it is to small and short or will it be worth it to practice 3-5 hard moves in such a small area. How many routes could i set in this area and how far apart should i drill holes for t-nuts?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

agree w/ Distel re: making it a bouldering wall - It'll be no fun climbing up and down in a 4 foot corridor. It's the sideways movement that really helps you make more variety and fun in the limited space of a home wall. Try to use other home walls and find out how you like them and what mistakes/good.

If you're still motivated, it might make better use of the limited space to make it a system wall. No more variety to the moves, but measuring your progress may help w/ motivation. (If you start working regularly on a system wall, you'll see pretty immediate progress. 6 feet wide would be great for a system wall, you probably want 8 feet at a minimum for bouldering.

Re: t-nuts - If you want bouldering, I like a random grid - as close as you can imagine placing holds. For a system wall, you want them at regular intervalls, or even better, get a router and make your own wooden holds. . .

It's a little too narrow. Like Matt said, I would make it a performance wall or a giant campus. Also if this is your first wall, put more holes and T-nuts on it than you plan on ever using at one time. Adds variety and believe it or not, the same hold four inches away can drastically change a problem.