Dome Peak

steve-o

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We did Dome peak a few years ago, and it is a great backpack/climb. We did it in three days, but can be done in two. Jim Nelson's first book shows that the first 6.5 miles up the Downey creek is easy hiking, and you can make good time. The tough part is at at Bachelor creek turn right (mile 6.5), and hiking (up obvious trail) up to mile point 11, where you enter a open meadow (good camping, we camped there). The preceding area passes through several good campsites, but I wouldn't recommend unless on a three day climb. There is bushwacking (but surveyers tape marking) at around mile 7 to 9.5. Once you pass over the pass you drop into Cub lake, follow the trail to the lake, then turn left (north) and go back up the trail to Itswoot ridge (good camping if on a three day climb). Traverse the glacier to the col. Once there head over the glacier to easy ground and go NW around the steep part and round out to the summit (we did the 5th class straight up) It should round out to the summit. Great climb. The trail out goes pretty fast, once at the pass above the pass out above Cub lake.

TTT

I climbed Dome last August at the end of the Ptarmigan Traverse. A great climb, the route is very straightforward as To The Top described. The glacier was really easy and the climb was beautiful with solid rock.

The only thing that would deter me from going back in there to do it again was the hike to downey creek. We were told that the worst part would be either the flies or the bushwacking, and it was the flies. Extremely bad case of biting flies crawling all over my face until I was about ready to freak out. The bug juice I had seemed to have no effect. I would definitely recommend some heavy duty DEET.

Beyond that, be prepared for a long approach without many spots to camp. We were going to camp but the flies were so bad we did not. We hiked out all in one day from Itswoot Ridge and that was a long day.

I would definitely recommend making at least three days of the climb.

We also did it on a very warm day, so the bushwacking was very humid and I think that just made the flies more active.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes.

Jamie