Daring soloist NOT arrested

Rad

Maybe this will alter your view of "French free".

Has Robert ever climber the Space Needle? We should invite him.

See article w/photos here:

Robert in asia

International News

Amazing! 'Spiderman' scales 62-story building

Frenchman climbs Hong Kong skyscraper without equipment

Mike Clarke / AFP - Getty Images

French free climber Alain Robert climbs the 62-story Cheung Kong Center in Hong Kong, on Saturday.

The Associated Press

Updated: 10:20 a.m. ET June 11, 2005HONG KONG - A Frenchman who calls himself “Spiderman” scaled a 62-story skyscraper in Hong Kong using only his bare hands on Saturday.

Alain Robert scrambled up the Cheung Kong Center in about an hour to find police waiting for him at the top.

They checked his passport but did not arrest him, even though he had not sought permission to climb the building.

“I slipped only once,” he said. “On a scale of one to 10 in terms of difficulty, this would be a five. I really enjoyed the ascent.”

Alain Robert, who calls himself "Spiderman," is seen on the Cheung Kong Center in Hong Kong, on Saturday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert, renowned for climbing without ropes or other equipment, said the building stands 928 feet.

In December, Robert scaled the world’s tallest building, Taiwan’s Taipei 101. It took him nearly four hours to reach the top of the 1,679-foot building because it was raining.

He has also climbed Malaysia’s Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Empire State Building in New York.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"I slipped only once."

Must not have been much of a slip.

On a TV show I saw recently he was fearing the possible caning he would get after he was arrested there. If they would have rapped his knuckles hard enough they could possibly have ended his buildering career.