smith 5.7 to 5.9 june 18 to 21 looking for partner

markwebster

Hi,

I am toying with the idea of going to Smith to climb some easy 5.6 to 5.9's over my college break from June 18th through 21. I'm quite rusty, only one trip out this year last weekend to do saber and midway on castle, along with a few 5.8's up the icicle. I have a couple on and off partners, but they are all unavailable during that time period. Wife was my main partner, but she just had rotator cuff surgery. I usually climb with my teenagers during the spring, but I've been rained off 38 and vantage twice this year. It's weird looking for a partner on a forum...I can't afford the climbing gyms where I guess most people meet partners these days. You can read some of my climbing stories and see pictures on my web site at** http://www.websterart.com/html/contentszz.html **

I am 51, but still warm up to easy 5.10 if I get out every other weekend, something there hasn't been time for since I got into high tech. Still, climbing is my favorite sport. I don't smoke, rarely drink...and I have a good car. For reference, some of my old climbing partners and or friends are Jim Phillips, Victor Kramer, Larry Kemp, Jim Yoder, John Brafladt (fupp), Don Ryan, Will Greenough. The wife and I have been climbing in Leavenworth, Smith, Joshua Tree and Yosemite since the late seventies. I live in Gig Harbor and would be going down Friday the 17th after work if I found a partner. You can reach me at home at 253-884-4785 or via email: mark@websterart.com

**Mark Webster

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the standard Saturday Sunday Monday open over the 4th of July and I hadn't thought that far ahead yet. I would like to go to Smith then as well probably, but if you are talking about the 5th of July, no, I'll be back at work then. My major open period is my coming 6 day break at the college where I teach. I'm open June 18th though the following Wednesday June 22 and would love to go down to Smith for a few days, start on the easy sixs and sevens and work my way into some of the beautiful 9's and 10's. Some of my favorite routes down there are Tammy Bakkers face, 5 gallon, spiderman, fridays jinx, dancer...someday I'd like to warm up enough to do Karate again.