1938 Ptarmigan Traverse

timmy_t

Okay, here are my questions: What peaks did the original Ptarmigan party climb in 1938? Which were first ascents, which were second, etc? And on which dates did they summit what? Maybe I'm a poor researcher, but I can't find detailed info, other than what I can piece together from the Beckey guide. The guy I called at Mountaineers Books suggested I shoot the question into space for all y'all to hear. He also said that Lowell Skoog knows everything. I am doing a little research project, and I would appreciate the help.

thanks,

tim

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Cache Col get its name? Wasn't there somehow a non-existant stash of Jello which was promised to the group somewhere up the Agnes Creek Valley from High Bridge?

Yes, Harvey Manning's article about the Ptarmigans mentions a cache promised to the group which turned out to be mostly jello. But that was up the Agnes, not at Cache Col.

Your question about the origin of the name Cache Col made me curious so I looked through a few articles from the Mountaineer Annual. It appears that this col remained unnamed as late as 1953, when Tom Miller's party did the second Ptarmigan Traverse. The name was applied sometime after that. I'm not going to pursue it any more, but it would be a fun trivia question to answer. Maybe somebody out there already knows the answer. I don't.