Boston Basin Conditions?

Michael

I'm curious if anyone has been into Boston Basin this week? I see it has snowed the last few days, but how is the overall snowpack, route conditions for Sahale, Sharkfin, Forbidden. A previous post indicated that the road is open to the trailhead, so this is good news. Thanks for your help, MS

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look a couple posts down at the Forbidden tour. You will have to walk a mile on the road. You can start skiing above the Diamond mine. If the weather has been cold the snow will be good, but if it's cloudy at night the snow will be soup.

We went up there on 5/5-5/6 weekend to the Eldorado Glacier. It is pretty much winter conditions anywhere above 5000 feet. Eldorado Glacier was completely filled in. Forbidden Peak looked totally snow covered, though we were looking at the NW side of the mountain. The snowpack at the time was fairly solid, despite having quite a bit of recent snowfall. I was expecting to see slides all over the place, but only saw evidence of one wet snow avalanche. I think alot of the S and SW facing stuff had been scoured.

With the storm system that just passed, I bet alot more new snow is up there and maybe watch out for wind-loading. It's been quite breezy. Bring skis or snowshoes. We wore snowshoes almost all the way to the summit.

Road conditions may have changed, but we drove to the Eldo trailhead (2160 ft) and didn't encounter snow until approx. 3500' on the trail.

Have fun.