[TR] Mt. Hood- South Side 4/30/2005

JoeMack

Climb: Mt. Hood-South Side

Date of Climb: 4/30/2005

Trip Report:

Left the T'Line lot at 10:00am Saturday. Skinned up through the clouds to clear blue skies at the top of Palmer.

3997Top_of_Palmer-med.JPG

The weather was super fine: warm and no wind. Booted up to the Hogsback and tried to eat some lunch without gagging from the sulphur stank. The berschrund was easy to get around and the Pearly Gates were soft: didn't need crampons nor an axe (which was good since I didn't have them).

3997Hogsback-med.jpg

I decided to ski down via the slope to climbers' left of the hogsback (Mazamas Route, I think, per David Waag's book "Oregon Descents"

3997Summit_Looking_West_smaller-med.JPG

The traverse over there was on a ridge that was a little more exposed than I thought, but the snow was soft and there was some boot pack from a pair of British guys that had just come from that direction after climbing Leutholds.

The untracked slope was beautiful and the snow was like velvet. Minimal sloughing. A cloud had rolled in and reduced vis significantly, but I traversed back to the hogsback and descended without a problem. Made it below the cloud at the top of the Palmer lift and cruised via the groomed slopes back to the truck at 5:00 for Happy Hour.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see Arlene Blum while you were there? She was part of a large entourage that was doing a photo shoot for Fortune (or Forbes).

There weren't any groups that I saw/met that matched that description.

I wonder why a business magazine would be doing an article about Mt. Hood?? confused.gif

• 1 month later...