Does anyone know anything about......

jackscoldsweat

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ajungilak tyin arctic and it is exellent sleeping bag. Very high quality and warm enough in its temperature range. I think the ajungilak bags temperature limits are measured with the european EN13537 standard which is very conservative compared to comfort temperatures given by us manufacturers. I actually couldn't find information about ajungilak's measuring system from their website, but they used to give temperatures in EN13537. For example the north face snowshoe has US comfort temp at -18C and EU comfort temp at -6C so the difference is quite big. Remember also that fillpower in Europe isn't the same as fillpower in US. European manufacturers (atleast some of them) use internationally accepted down testing methods and US manufacturers have their own methods. FP 750 in europe is about 850 in us.

Ajungilak is regarded to be very high quality and very well known sleeping bag maker in Europe altough they don't make the very top of the line bags. However their bags are very robust and last for ages.

Have the old Kompakt Super (equivalent to the winter I think). Have had it 10 years and no problems so far with the quality. Being synthetic it machine washes, but it packs big and is fairly heavy, but very warm. Don't use it much anymore. Tend to use a thin synthetic or a thick down bag around here.

Cheers

Stu

...snip.....

Ajungilak is regarded to be very high quality and very well known sleeping bag maker in Europe altough they don't make the very top of the line bags. However their bags are very robust and last for ages.

Stu..Andrei,

thanks for the info...much appreciated. I may have a chance to acquire one of the two warmer down bags offered at a very decent price.

i need this bag for a trip to Peru. i sleep cold hence the reason for such a warm bag.

of the EU made bags...which do either of you consider to be on the higher quality end? Valandre? All this in comparison to the US makers like FF or WM.

be safe,

JCS

Well maybe I put it little bit wrong... Ajungilak is mostly known from their synthetic bags which are the very top of the line. As it seems they now also have those new down bags (altitude series) replacing the old "not so modern" ones. Altitude bags seem to be very promising. I haven't seen those but if they are same quality as other ajungilak bags they'll fit straight into the "top of the line" category. So I would say ajungilak is like WM... or something like that rolleyes.gif

Never heard about valandre:) Take a look at PHD if you wan't something like ff or better.

phd custom made

phd homepage

PHD (pete hutchinson designs) or Mountain Equipment (used to be owned/run by Pete Hutchinson) have very good bags. In terms of Down bags, in the UK at least, RAB (www.rab.uk.com)is the "gold standard" for anything down. If you explain you're off on an "expedition" you may get the expedition price list(about 40% off if I remember right).

There is also kimmlite.com - they make very light stuff and their website is not up to date yet, but they have some interesting stuff coming out in may/june - too late for you probably, but maybe the dollar will be stronger by then!