PacLite vs eVent... let the games begin

darstog

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in R&D and test waterproof breathable fabrics. I can tell you that eVent is significanlty more breathable that any other "hardshell" fabric on the market. I can't give you values that would mean too much because there are several standardized industry tests for measuring breathability. Most companies (fabric mills) use the test that makes their product look the best. I can tell you that eVent comes up a winner in every test method I have seen, the only thing that varies is how much better it performs. I coulg go on, but it gets a little technical and boring for most people. Suffice it to say that eVent is the shit.

The best thing you can do is not stick your head inside the bag if at all possible. This massively increases the amount of moisture the bag has to transmit through it's fabric.

Also remember that in sub freezing temps breathability is significantly decreased by icing on the inside of the bag. This will happen with all fabrics. If it's going to be freezing I don't even both with a bivvi bag, I take an insulated overbag instead.

Strikes me both these bags are heavy. I have a Rab Survival Zone that comes in quite a bit lighter than of either of the above.

The fabric is only part of the story. Good fabric isn't going to make up for poor design (just ask OR).

Say what you want about Jorvack's madness, but his methods have some validity...

However I'm most interested in a bivy that will be truly waterproof... going to bugaboos, tuolumne, NCascades, etc for a couple of spring/summer/fall days, want to to stay really light, may have to deal with afternoon showers. I'll carry an extra 7 ounces (MH Bivy) or an extra 11 ounces (WT) to for full waterproofness and some weather protection. The idea of an overbag sounds great for colder temps, and the bibler looks great for snow stuff, but 3-season superlight waterproof coffin sounds like it would be a great addition to the closet of gear that's really only used to sleep out next to the river at Index.