Used ice tools

StephenBecker

I'm trying to buy my first pair of ice tools and I'm looking for advice on used tools. For example, I found a Chouinard X15 for $50/ea. at http://www.alpineadven.com/recentandcurrent/gearsale.html which seems like a good deal, but I don't know much about the Chouinards (I've heard they're "classic" and "terrible for steep ice"). My end goal is alpine ice, so I don't mind the straight shaft. Anyone have suggestions on models or places to buy them? Anyone want to sell an old pair?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't buy used tools, its just a waste of money. You will spend a couple hundred on used tools only to findout you want new ones, so it costs more in the long run. Plus there is a good chance you will get some pretty crappy picks with your used tools, which is 90 something dollars right there to replace them. Someone once told me "your tools are like your arm, there a part of you." You will want nice ones. If you get bent or straight tools, it wont make a difference because you will learn to use them the way they are. I just started ice climbing this year and use the BD Rage. They are very, very, nice and not to spendy eaither.

ebay can be the source of some good deals on used ice tools.

I wouldnt pay more than 100$ for a mediochre/old style set of used tools (includes BD X-15s, Pulsars, Rambos, Black Prophets, any design more than 5 years old), or 150-175$ for "1-generation-behind" tools, such as used BS Carbon Fiber Black Prophets, used Rages. The reality is you can get new or next-to-new tools of modern design for 150$ each, so you shouldnt be paying that much for used tools of any kind.

Be selective, do some research, stay away from designs that are too old. Then again, if you really are only going to use them once a year and you know that already, then paying 100$ for a set of tools probably is ok.

I still use my 1990-vintage X-15s for alpine ice, beater tools are fine for the mountains.