Tahoe info needed

Camilo

So, I'm off to Tahoe with some friends in a couple of weeks. Only three days but no plans other than skiing. Probably one day in resorts and two days backcountry. . . or all three days backcountry. Any suggestions? We're wide open right now where to go. We're probably staying in Tahoe City. Anyone in Portland have a backcountry ski Tahoe book they want to lend me? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No other information is needed other than these two words: Mt Tallac. You could have a whole winter of fun on this one peak. Huge elevation, and so much terrain that even if you head up on a weekend you won't feel crowded.

Tallac's great. There's closer stuff though. For just Tahoe, and just a couple days, check out the Backcountry's where to go site:

http://www.thebackcountry.net/backskiing/wheretogo.htm

Squaw or Alpine are the best to go lift served - go midweek.

Castle Peak off I-80 near Truckee would be ideal for where you are at. On the South Shore, Tallac is sweet but takes an entire day for the most part. Even farther south, toward Kirkwood, are Red Lake and Stevens Peak, both killer terrain with relative short walks and long descents if you can set up a two-car shuttle at Hope Valley and Carson Pass.

We've gotten a bunch of snow this season but not much recently, so conditions will be quite varied but likely safe. Have fun. PM me if you need more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Tallac it was. . . and it was great! Skied there Monday and Tuesday. I'll post pictures later. Thanks for all the tips. I got a call from my friend saying that Tues. night (after I left), the areas got almost a foot and they skied the next two days at Squaw. Also, they're active Air Force so they didn't have to pay for tickets. If you're missing good snow, it's a cheap flight to Reno, $130 on Southwest.

we'll be down on march 22-26. got some ticks for lift served runs (squaw/heavenly), but would like to get out in the BC for a day... either jakes or maybe tallac, whatever is good, or might burn the extra time at meadows since we ski free there. would love to link up with some cc.com fooz while i'm down there.