• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Text Forecast from Environment Canada

Banff: Issued 5.00 AM MST Thursday 20 January 2005

Winter storm warning in effect.

Today .. Periods of rain or freezing rain. Snow above 1500 metres. Snowfall amount 5 to 10 cm. High 2.

Tonight .. Periods of snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Low minus 7.

Friday .. Clearing in the morning. High minus 3.

Saturday .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low minus 5. High plus 4.

Sunday .. Cloudy. Low 2. High 5.

Monday .. Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers. Low minus 3. High plus 3.

doesn't look like anything will be collapsing soon.

i know how the conditions are since i talked to someone from calgary 2 nights ago. it's not that bad. they had 2 weeks of temps as low as -40C and highs of the day -30C. so the ground is so frozen at this point that even a couple of days of warm temps won't melt much. anyway, it'll get cold enough soo, and there is is plenty of ice for climbing left for the rest of the season. unlike here. dru, you just admit it, they have conditions for ice we can only dream about. and no, 2 weeks of decent climbing around here every 5 or 7 years don't mean shit. that's why every other wanker there can lead wi5 or 6 while here people spray about top-roping wi3.

I hasve to agree with Bob, its below freezing every night and just a tad above in the day.

For us I dont see us below the double digits for a few more days.

But I think we will see the freezing leves drop starting around tues next week with a return to more "normal' conditions, as the jet stream starts pulling in colder arctic air.

Keep you r fingers crossed, i suppose with forecst highs in lilloet hovering around 8 and recored highs of the last couple days around 9 we wil have to wait for it all to rebuild again. but hey theres at least a solid month left. cry.gif

see you in the rockies

good logic Dru, unfortunatley there is a storm developing sat morning along the california coast and moving North.

Bringing warm moist air, hence vancouver high is 12

but I would rather be wrong and see it freeze in lillooet over the weekend, all we can do is watch now.

ok dru, current temp in littlewet is +4C at 1;30 pm. it's -1C at top of 7Th heaven (Blackomb). anyway, the point is that it is warm. we had 2 weeks of real winter in hope/frazier river area and it's spring time temps with copius volume of rain. while the avi conditions are high in the rockies, they are extreme on the coast. besides, there are several areas in the rockies (like ghost waporius, some stuff in the kananaskis), where there is no avi danger at all, so there are still options for climbing even on a weekend like this one. plus, let's face it- they had ice since end of october, so if you don't go out for a weekend by this time is not such a bad deal. on the other hand we didn't get any ice till end of december. so for ice season here these temps are a real pisser.

dru, let's face it, you can't even start comparing coast conditions to those in the rockies as far as ice goes. they have it, we don't, so don't try to pretend like there is even a comparison

Canmore: Issued 4.00 PM MST Friday 21 January 2005

Tonight .. Cloudy. Low minus 9 with [temperature rising to plus 1 by morning.

Saturday .. Cloudy. Wind west 20 km/h. High 12.

Sunday .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low 3. High 5.

the_finger.gif