Chamonix questions

joel20

Does anyone here know about where to stay in that town. My requirements are simple: Place to lock up my gear, shower, and that's about it. I've stayed in youth hostels in europe before, but not all of them have showers, or lockers, and you usually end up staying in the same room with strangers. Would anyone know anything about the one in Chamonix?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was there, we found the information center which is a 10 block or so walk from from the train station. It was right down the main street from the station just past the center of town.

They ask you requirements (# of stars, cost, etc.) and will give you some options and then call the hotel if you want.

They were actually quite helpful, although in typical French fashion, didn't seem overjoyed with helping clueless Americans.

like he mentioned there is a Office Du Tourisme on Place de L'eglise, I still have a map... I thought the best hostel was Red Mountain Lodge, Sofas, dvd player, things like that. 20 euros a night you can even get your own spot, but for 16 you get the dorm. There are a bunch off hostels but only 2-3 close to town. This one is real close and a Cafe right across the road. There is a lot of info online, check Chamonix.net.. You can find food pretty cheap if you look, Pizza is the best though.. Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any questions

The hostel in Chamonix is awesome! I'm referring to the international hostelling one anyways. I was there last spring and it was only about 26 CDN for a night's stay with breakfast and dinner. It has a shower and a place to keep your skis but you do have to share a room with three other people. The staff are super friendly and there's a cute french Canadian girl working at the front desk. I think everyone who I spoke to was bilingual so don't worry about the language barrier. Oh yeah, there's a bar there with foosball and pool.

The only downside to the hostel is that it's a bit of a walk to the village. However, there are buses that run every 15 minutes to the village during the ski season. Not sure what it's like transportation wise in the climbing season but I imagine it's pretty similar.

Hope this helps,

I'm going to be there for just a few days over 3 weeks. Are the locals usually up for hire as far as guiding goes? I could probably benefit from having one for a day or two and I am not willing to pay the outrageous price for a sanctioned guide. Well, I understand their prices being that many times they have to babysit their clients.

The OHM (high mountain office), mentioned above, is located at Place de l'Eglise, across from the tourism office (also mentioned above). Make sure to look a ways back in the cahier des messages (message book) for "partners wanted" ads. An ideal match for you might be someone who is living in the valley and preparing for their guide's exams. They are typically well motivated, skilled, and out to do some really cool routes. Plus, they come in all different nationalities. Enjoy your trip, and post a TR!

Place to stay - The Hotel Vagabond is on the west end of the main street in town. Run by Brits, dorm style rooms, clean, very nice showers, bar downstairs, 12-16 euro a night depending on season. No lockers, but I've left ice climbing gear in the room for 2+ days/nights while out climbing with no problems. There used to be lockers at the train station, but they are gone now.

Chamonix rocks! The climbing is the best. Have fun.

joel,

when are you going to be there?

if youll be there in the winter, id avoid all of the hostel-type places. the ski crowd brings a lot more, well, to be frank, drunken jackasses than youll find during other times of the year, and you wont sleep much. also stuff gets ripped off constantly, especially at the vagabond. the summer crowd is much more low key and during that time of year you may look into staying at one of those places, but i still wouldnt recommend it if you can afford to go elsewhere. without too much exaggeration, i think ive stayed at almost all of the budget hotels/hostels in chamonix several times each - id be happy to give you as many details as i can if you have specific questions.

youll have no trouble finding guides - and there are plenty of english speaking guides as well.

in france, if youll be staying somewhere for an extended period of time (1 week or more), i think the best option is to rent a "gite". of course, often youll want a car for most gites and normally you would rent one with other people - it might be a bit too expensive alone. i think the website is www.gites-de-france.fr - if that doesnt work google "gites de france" and you should find the site.

anyway, i think when you are going should have a lot to do with where you choose to stay. again, fire away if you have any more questions about chamonix or other climbing destinations in france.

good luck!

The town of Argentiere,up the valley from Chamonix is the

place to be.It has good restaurants and lodging without the

trapings of Chamonix.We stayed at the ski hill,which offers

tent camping and shower facilities during the summer season.Grocery stores are close and the tram to Grand

Montets is also close by.The Argentiere basin is reached

by this tram.Les Droites,Les Courtes,Triolet,and Aiguille

Verte North faces are all located here.The Argentiere hut

is a fine spot to drink red wine.Don't miss The Argentiere

grave yard,I'm not one who visits grave yards,but this one

is pretty amazing.Alot of well known climbers and guides

rest there.The guide service is really expensive.Bring a

partner or there are lots of English speaking climbers at

Argentiere to hook up with.Also a car is most useful,

especially for keep your gear safe.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I am will be there in March for sure. I was hoping earlier, but these Iraqi elections are really messing with my vacation plans. For the most part I will be alone exept for the first week I will be having a buddy tag along to do some boarding and whenever one of my family members is able to get there.

I have been considering Argentiere, is there a rail station there?

Oh yeah, I would have replied sooner but we just had another guy bite it recently. They shut off all civilian type lines until the next of kin has been contacted every time.

Pisses me off, he only had a couple of weeks to go and this time there was someone waiting for him on the other side of that door. Then again something happened yesterday that someone will have to pay for down the road but I can't say anything about that.

I can only say that our leadership is not on our side, and that our hands are tied in a web of politics. That because of it more of us will die than necessary. I feel for the ones who are replacing us in these next couple of weeks. For the hardship, heartache, sickening, and deterioration inside themselves that they will have to endure for the next year.

joel,

damn - i cant even begin to offer any sort of condolences since i have no idea what it might be like to be in your situation. hang in there.

argentiere is pretty lacking in nightlife. off the top of my head, i cant think of anywhere in argentiere where you might even get a beer late at night. yes, there is a train stop in argentiere, just a couple stops from chamonix mont blanc. if you dont have transportation, i wouldnt stay there. sure, there are buses that run between cham and argentiere, but a better option would be to base out of cham and take the bus to argentiere for climbing/snowboarding during the day and be in cham for the nightlife (and everything else).

if you will be there with a friend, check out "hotel la valaisanne". if there are two of you, you can get a double room for only a few bucks more than what you would pay at a hostel, the woman who owns it is very friendly, youll have your own room to store your gear without any worries, you will sleep well at night, and breakfast (some bread, butter and jelly and coffee - but that is breakfast in france) is included. its also on the outskirts of town so its a bit more quiet than other places, but only a two minute walk to town center. its about 300 feet past the vagabond.

the hotel above the mexican joint behind the super u (im pretty sure its called "la cantina" but im having a brain fart) is also a good value. however, there is a club downstairs and it can be LOUD. but if youre into nightlife, this could be an attraction - all youll need to do is walk upstairs to your room when youre done partying. also, youre right smack in the middle of town.

if youre on your own, single rooms get a bit pricey compared to hostels. but if youre with a friend, its almost the same price for a double room at some of the budget hotels as you would pay for two people at a hostel.

I appreciate all of the advice from everyone on this site. It looks as like I will spend the majority of my time in Chamonix while I have people with me. When and will have to decide where I will stay while I focus entirely on climbing. Probably Argentiere unless I hook up some girl in Chamonix that's willing to let me stay at her place. It will all depend on what kind of partner(s) that I find and where we decide to climb.

I've stayed at the Gite Chamoniard Volant (they have a website now, www.chamoniard.com) twice. It's about a 10 minute walk from the train station (up valley). The manager is friendly. Bunks are probably around $15/night, depending on how far down the toilet the dollar has gone. You can cook your own food. I've stored stuff and left a car with the manager for several days without hassle.

I went to Chamonix this summer, the youth hostel is amazing. It accomodates the "youth" as well as families with kids. They have lockers you can rent as well as shower accomodations. Its a bit out of town so you would have to take a shuttle (7minutes). It might be a great way to meet other climbers too... that way you wouldnt necessarily have to spend the money on a guiding service. The cheaper the better b/c everything else is really expensive. However, if you plan on going soon - make reservations quick!!