Jacking Tent poles

johndavidjr

I've lost some aluminum tent poles for a "Frog" style tent but have set for a four-pole dome that has gone cheese-smelling and is headed for dump.

Does anybody have a method for adapting these things-- ie cutting them down to correct length & saving the tips? Not a very interesting question but anybody's experience might be helpful to me. Replacing them seems far too costly.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to try to cut tent poles, expent huge shotcord related headaches. When it comes time to cut, though, I'd reccomend using one of those pizza-wheeled tubing cutters. Will work well and quickly and accurately and will leave a nice, clean, professional looking cut with nothing to snag your fabric on.

...I'd reccomend using one of those pizza-wheeled tubing cutters... will leave a nice, clean, professional looking cut with nothing to snag your fabric on.

I think the clean, perpendicular cut also helps prevent stress cracking at the tips...

I have an old Sierre Designs tent and all the poles are so old that they are splitting one after the other, every time I go out. The result is that I am replacing poles very often and even carry extras on trips (cheaper than buying a new tent - the fabric is still holding out). Anyway, I bought a pipe cutter at the hardware store for about $8 to facilitate all this repair work.

Totally worth it for making quick but clean cuts that won't weaken the pole or snag on your tent. $8 and it will last a lifetime...and won't take up much room in your tool box.

038728120328_4.jpg

Internet/Catalog # 166130 at Home Depot Big Box Hellhole