Stun Gun Use by the Police

catbirdseat

Many of you have no doubt been following the series of articles in the Seattle Post Intelligencer about the use of stun guns by police to subdue recalcitrant suspects. Every once in a while they'll get someone sky high on cocaine or PCP. They'll die from a heart attack and the coroner will say that drug overdose, restraint and the stun all played a part in the death.

Various civil rights advocates are saying that the stun guns are lethal, even though there is no case of lethality absent the drugs. They say the use of the stun guns should be suspended, pending further study, etc.

My question is this. Had the stun gun not been used in these cases, wouldn't it be very likely that the suspect would have died anyway? Also, wouldn't it be likely that the officers would have been much more at risk themselves? In some cases, the suspects might have ended up shot. If you take away stun guns, that leaves guns. I can't understand these people that want to ham string the police at every turn. madgo_ron.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother is a cop. He's about the same size as me (6' 2", 230 lbs.). A few years ago, he was one of a group of 8 similarly-sized cops trying to control a skinny little guy on PCP. They more or less had everyone grabbing onto every body part possible, trying to restrain him, in a sort of dogpile. They finally got him subdued, but it took over a half an hour to do it, and afterward, they basically sent all 8 guys home because they were so fatigued that they couldn't even move any more.

When climbing, I sometimes think about that story, and how much energy there must be locked away in the human body, if only you can tap into it. Which is not to say that I think PCP is generally a good idea while climbing...

My question is this. Had the stun gun not been used in these cases, wouldn't it be very likely that the suspect would have died anyway? Also, wouldn't it be likely that the officers would have been much more at risk themselves? In some cases, the suspects might have ended up shot. If you take away stun guns, that leaves guns. I can't understand these people that want to ham string the police at every turn. madgo_ron.gif

This is pretty ridculous - it seems no matter what form of non-lethal weapon is used - stun gun, taser, or pepper-spray, some ACLU type wants to ban it. I'd hate to be a police officer in this day and age.