Lillooet - Nov. 21 (Almost) No Ice Yet

Dru

jordop, stemalot and I went up to Lillooet to have a look for some "high elevation" ice. Don Serl and I had seen some dripping bluffs in summer in the valley of Enterprise Creek and we speculated these would freeze up before anything else around Lillooet. The downside is that at 6000' elevation one must also try and get up the 12km, 5000' elevation gain logging road before snow fall renders it impassible.

Well we drove up, parked the Jeep at 5000' and in a foot of snow and bashed up the alder covered final Enterprise Creek spur to look at the ice. There are three potential lines. One looks like WI5 if in and was a mix of hanging curtains and running water over wet rock. One was in but unprotectably thin-looking and looked like mostly WI2 with some snow covered rock. The third is a neat looking corner line that would be WI3 or 4 if fully in but had some obvious hollow sections and holes.

Well after looking at all of these and trying to convince ourselves we should climb the WI2 on Sunday as a reward for slogging in there (it was now 2:30 PM due to a late start) a blizzard started so we left and went to the bar instead.

I have no doubt these lines will fatten in the next few weeks with current temperatures but if any more snow falls it would be a long, long ski or slog in to get at them. I have no intent of rushing back. If anyone is more motivated the Grid Reference location is at 730065 on NTS map 92 I/12.

Copnsidering these lines are at the same elevation as the top of "Isodorth" and "Belmore" I think its safe to say there is no ice in, in Lillooet yet.

There was a thicker looking flow on the bottom of the north-northeast face of Mt Brew. It would be another hour and a half back up the valley to get at what is probably a 2-3 pitch WI2. If you are really desperate get up there now while avalanche hazrd is low. thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Any word on an Ice Festival up there this year?

Feb. 11-13. Heard there might be clinics with Sean Isaac, but dunno if that's for sure or not.

I've recently been informed that a "formal" (i.e. sponsored) ice fest isn't gonna happen this year, but that another "Gathering" may be in the cards.