Who has been to Cloud Cap recently?

Gaper_Jeffy

Like within the past week. Can you drive all the way to Cloud Cap w/ 4 wheel drive but sans snowtires (mine aren't installed yet)? What's the snow coverage on lwr Cooper Spur (below tie-in-rock) like? Could you ski from there to the TH? Any photos?

I'm not going to ask what conditions are like on Snowdome as I already know conditions are always perfect there wink.gif.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Thurs (11/11) I drove to Cloud Cap with a 4WD and no snow tires. A little tough around some of the higher hair pin turns but should be pretty easy now. As far as skiing on the north side - don't bother. Very little snow up to tie in rock, all ridges are bare and the lower Elliot is all rock. Went to Rainer-Muir the next day and the skiing was pretty decent. The extra drive is well worth it.

Yesterday went up there with Olegv to do some ice climbing up on elliot.

The road going up was fine. I drive an AWD van with decent clearance so your milage may vary. Maybe 6" deep but good tire tracks. Got all the way up to the TH and saw a couple of 4x4 truck/SUV type doodads.

Coming down was shit though. It was dark and surprisingly icy. Ran into a small ditch and even with the driver's side tires chained up it took us a half hour to get underway again. My advice: take chains and use them if it's icy, and try to keep it under 50 mph and you should be fine. grin.gif

Looks like the forecast is calling for more significant the long awaited snow so that might have been all she wrote until next year though.