North Face of Shuksan Conditions

tlinn

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on another nordwand this past weekend. Found things to be quite broken up. There was snow over ice. Snow was bonding well. But it was too much to ignore (i.e. more than an inch or two), but not enough to kick-step confidently. Made things a real pain in the ass. Wish I had a shovel every time I wanted to place a screw, especially near the top, where the most snow was.

Climbed Wedge Mountain NE face this last weekend instead. Found nice blue ice streaks with a few inches of consolidated new snow in between. The new snow made for nice, easy cramponing and the blue ice was great for screws. Placed the odd picket in a few shady pockets where there was more snow. New snow is above 8500 feet. rockband.gif

Climbed Wedge Mountain NE face this last weekend instead. Found nice blue ice streaks with a few inches of consolidated new snow in between. The new snow made for nice, easy cramponing and the blue ice was great for screws. Placed the odd picket in a few shady pockets where there was more snow. New snow is above 8500 feet. rockband.gif

...and janez did the rethel/parkhurst/slot link-up the same day, in what i recall him saying was 9 hrs hut-to-summit of wedge. rethel was all ice, but it's not steep, so took only 2 hrs from hut to top. scrambling down from rethel-parkhurst col turned out to be much easier than ade and i had imagined last year (we declined, and walked over to the parkhurst-wedge col to descend after rethel). parts of the parkhurst couloir were melted out, so there was a bit of entertaining mixed. the entry to the slot was a short, delicate, free-hanging curtain, then the 1st half was OK. the upper half was snow-covered, and had some tricky melted-out steps. apparently the traverse from the couloir exit across to the upper west couloir was the crux of the trip - thin fresh snow over frozen gravel, above a big drop - scary, scratchy cramponing...

and now it's snowing, so indian summer alpine ice season is probably over...

cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl

Jeopardy buzzing sound this next week looks stellar for weather!

looks pretty fine down your way alright, especially out on the east side - see wenachee:

http://www.weather.ca/weather/cities/usa/pages/USWA0487.htm

but check out the situation up this way - whistler:

http://www.weather.ca/weather/cities/can/pages/CABC0322.htm

there's already fresh snow at higher elevations, and it's gonna be below freezing at valley height mid-week - then freezing rain and/or snow next weekend. not gonna be doing wedgemount, joffre, whitecap, goldbridge, etc routes any kindness. much less the remote chilcotin stuff...

maybe time to come south for a few days?

cheers,