Raichle 90 Degree GTX

Tyler

I'm in the market for some vertical ice / mountaineering boots. I need something that will walk well and climb easier vertical ice. So far, I've narrowed my choices down. I've tried a few brands, and I'm looking at Salomons (SM Expert or Pro Ice) or Raichle 90 Degree GTX (the ones that are fully crampon compatible). Has anyone used these for vertical ice? Anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

They fit great, but the sole is a little more flexible (more flexible than the Salomon SM experts I also tried on). Will this be too much of a problem? My first ice climbing was in La Sportiva Makalu's. If I seem to remember, the Makalu's were more flexible than the Raichle's can't remember though.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't answer your question, but am curious to know where this (Raichle) boot is sold.

btw I did have a chance to use Salomon's Pro Ice for a couple of days doing some climbing in crevasses and an ice gully. Stiff boot, light, good amount of ankle support, reasonably comfortable. A little narrower in the toes than I'd like. Best obtained on sale (backcountry.com occasionally and mountaineer.com in a few sizes). Haven't done any rock in them yet, but will see how they do this weekend on some Sierra couloir ice. Not very warm, but that could just be due to how they cram my toes. For the winter I'm looking at plastics or just using chemical toe warmers.

the Raichle 90 Degree are awesome boots!!!! I have them and they are the bomb if you have wider feet like me (the Trango S just sucked in terms of fit for me) just seam seal them as soon as you get them for durability

ther Salomon Pro ice fit well just having a serious durability issue (I had to return mine 4 times)

I have a pair of the Raichle 90 degree EXP. They are comfortable and seem to fit me well. They climb water ice great. I would say that they are similar to sportiva Nepal in overall beef, but they have a slightly softer upper than the Nepals so they offer a little more dexterity. I was also impressed with their walking comfort. I did the DC with them in August and they walked great.

AS far as the 90 Degree GTX goes. I have worn them and they climb Vert ice ok. If you were looking for a boot strictly for vertical water ice then I would consider some other options. However, they are an excellent choice for general mountaineering and for steep alpine ice. Comparable to Sportiva Lhotse's or the old Technica Altitude plus. bigdrink.gif

Sorry, I'm a little confused...

There are three boots in Raichle's 90 degree line:

Raichle 90 Degree (with Vibram Vertige sole (crampon compatible)

Raichle 90 Degree GTX with Vibram Block Sole (crampon compatible)

Raichle 90 Degree EXP with Vibram Icetrek sole (newmatic crampon compatible)

I tried on the 90 Degree GTX, and looking at the web page it appears to be the beefiest boot in their 90 degree line. When you referred to the 90 Degree EXP did you mean to refer to the 90 Degree or the 90 Degree GTX? The 90 Degree EXP GTX appears to be the least beefiest boot in the 90 degree line.

Just a little confused... Can you clarify? Thanks!

I have a pair of the Raichle 90 degree EXP. They are comfortable and seem to fit me well. They climb water ice great. I would say that they are similar to sportiva Nepal in overall beef, but they have a slightly softer upper than the Nepals so they offer a little more dexterity. I was also impressed with their walking comfort. I did the DC with them in August and they walked great.

AS far as the 90 Degree GTX goes. I have worn them and they climb Vert ice ok. If you were looking for a boot strictly for vertical water ice then I would consider some other options. However, they are an excellent choice for general mountaineering and for steep alpine ice. Comparable to Sportiva Lhotse's or the old Technica Altitude plus. bigdrink.gif

Just wondering how this boot worked out for you guys in terms of fit ... my feet measure 9.5, but typically I wear a size 10 boot. I had to go with the Pro Ice in size 9.5 to get a decent fit in the heel. I'm nowhere near OMC, so am wondering what size to start with before I click 'order' ... thanks for any info !